Monday, May 12, 2008

Costa Rica-Volume 1

Okay, so I finally have a spare minute to try to blog about our Costa Rica trip. We flew out of DFW on April 25th at 7:00am to catch our connecting flight in Houston which left at 9:30am. By noon were landing in Costa Rica, getting our rental car and heading for La Fortuna. we pulled into La Fortuna about 7:00pm and found a place to stay for the night. Below are pictures of our first nights accommodations...

Yes, the last picture is indeed a picture of our shower, live wires, switch and all! This is what many of the "cabinas" called a hot water heater. Not sure if it worked or not as we didn't use it.


We went out an got a bite to eat and a few drinks at a local restaurant, Jardins', it was really good. I decided to go with my first taste of a typical Costa Rican dish and ordered the Arroz con Pollo, or rice with chicken. It was very good and I plan to try to make it sometime. We of course were beat from having been up for nearly 48 hours straight and went back to our little room at Cabinas Hervi and tried to get some sleep because the next morning we had scheduled our trip to go zip-lining through the jungle. I say tried to get some sleep because our room had no air conditioning. This would probably not have been to bad except that it was REALLY humid and I had a bit of a head cold and cough. I woke up many times that night coughing up a lung and feeling like I was breathing through a straw the air was so heavy. I finally sedated myself with a few benadryl so that I could get at least a few hours in so that I wouldn't be totally dead the next day. We got up the next morning and had a typical breakfast, which consisted of eggs scrambled with ham, black beans and a small slice of fresh homemade cheese served with a couple of corn tortillas. we then got picked up about 10:00am to go do the zipline tour.


In the first pic you can actually see a couple of the ziplines behind us going over the waterfall. It was VERY high. We went swimming at the waterfall the next day and saw other people doing the ziplines and they looked like little dots in the sky. Crazy! The waterfall itself was probably at least 150 yards behind us if not 200, just to give you some comparison.

After the zipline part was over we got back down the mountain on horseback.






we then went and took a look at the butterfly and frog gardens they had where I took pictures of these guys....

We went back into town and found accommodations for the next night, had dinner and decided to go to Baldi Hotsprings to relax. I will post more about this in my next volume of of blogging about our trip.

No comments: