Thursday, August 14, 2008

Aidans first ER trip

Well yesterday Aidan decided to give us a little scare. I went to get him out of his crib and he was just laying there, playing with his teddy bear. I thought that was strange since he usually jumps right up and starts saying "up, mama, up!" over and over again. I pick him up and lay him on his changing table and I notice he seems to have no energy and is kind of limp. I then also notice he feels warm so I take his temp. Nothing wrong there. I take him to my room and lay next to him on the bed to see if he just needs a little more time to wake up. He doesn't move at all, well, nothing except his head. I take his arm and lift it up and drop it. It falls as if he were asleep or unconscious. What is wrong with my BABY! I call Kevin and tell him whats going on and he heads home from work. I decide to see if he can stand. He can and he can walk but he drags his feet ans only goes a few steps before stopping. I take him and Sabrina downstairs because Sabrina wants breakfast and I decide to feed her while I wait for Kevin to get home. Aidan sees Sabrinas sippy cup and starts very pitifully asking for "wa wa". I set him in his highchair and give him a cup and a few little yogurt bites. He throws it up almost immediately.

Kevin gets home we go to the ER and the look him over. He still is asking for "wa wa" every time he sees someone with a cup or drink of any kind. Poor baby. They draw some blood, start fluids and I manage to get him to sleep. He didn't even cry when they stuck the IV in, he was just too weak! about 45 minutes pass and he wakes up. He wakes up MAD! Good sign. He has his energy back! he keeps crying and screaming for "wa wa" so the nurse lets us try some pedialyte and apple juice mixed together. He sucks down 2 large cupfuls! He keeps it down! Yay! The doctor comes in and tells us is blood work is fine except that he was just really dehydrated. They send us home and Aidan has been fine and back to himself.

We're still not sure how he could have gotten so dehydrated, he was fine the night before. The only thing that we can think is he had 3 runny diapers the previous afternoon. But he had been eating and drinking that evening just fine. He hadn't played outside that day either.
My guess is he was feeling a little bad the night before and he was just really good at hiding it till he woke up the next morning.

Thankfully everything is fine with him, just a little bruise from where they put in the IV. He's back to driving me nuts today, but i wouldn't have it any other way ;)

2 comments:

Cindi said...

Wow, what a scare. I'm so glad he's okay!!

Jenny said...

Oh how scary, Candice! I'm glad to hear it was something minor and he's alright!